Tuesday, October 14, 2014

     No bugs today.  As a pest management professional it bugs me to see other "bug guys" not taking pride in their work.  I try hard to do a good job for my customers because I want to keep them and, as most of us know, sales is service.  You resell yourself and your company every time you set foot on a customer's property.  I saw a guy from a competitor spray in the rain.  Not only is this illegal for environmental reasons, it won't do the customer any good.  How can someone care so little for their reputation, the reputation of their company, the customer, and most importantly, the environment?

     Every company has its method of operation but here is how I think a 'typical' service should go.  First you go to the door and attempt to engage the customer.  It is also a good idea to call customers on your list the night before to see if they are having a particular issue that you need to address.  If they don't answer, leave a message.  I confess that I don't do this every day, but I should.  If they answer, and they are having an issue indoors that you need to address, do so.  Going to chase a squirrel here, but on your interior treatments use the least amount of product possible that will do the job.  Baseboard spraying is, usually unnecessary, a waste of product, and a waste of time.  Modern pest control products offer a wide variety of dusts, baits, aerosols, and others that let you treat the source of the problem.  And yes, I do know that there are customers that no matter how you try and educate, they insist on it.  Okay, done chasing the squirrel.  If they don't answer, go around the outside of the home and inspect for spider webs, wasp nests, fire ant mounds in the lawn, ants trailing on or near the home so you know what is going on.  I usually do this step while I am removing webs, wasp nests, and mud dauber constructions with my webster.  I also take this time to move any toys and pet bowls away from the house so no accidents happen.  This step doesn't take long unless it is a lake house or house in the woods with webs all over it.  Next, I treat the perimeter of the home while spot treating around windows and doors (make sure your product of choice allows for this as it might say to crack and crevice treat those areas instead).  Then, I treat any ant trails and ant mounds I find within 100 ft of the house as my limit in those palatial estates or on large lots.  I know that some of you pest professionals have to have a separate license  for that depending on your state. Final step is to fill out ticket with products used, location and amounts of those products used, put ticket on door and move along to the next location on my list.

    Other things I look for at an account are:
1. Are they a termite customer?  I should leave a quote.
2. Are they a mosquito customer?  I should leave a quote.
3. Do they have rodent, nuisance wildlife, or bat entry points that need exclusion?  I should leave a quote.
4. Are there any other issues that need attention?  examples:  broken sprinkler, broken windows, open doors (standing open, don't try people's locks), poor drainage, lawn pests, etc., that I don't handle but I would want to know about if I were the customer.

     I am not giving away any secrets here, but it amazes me to watch technicians from other companies get out of vehicle, spray around the house as fast as they can without moving anything out of the way, put a bill on the door and run.  This is why techs should be paid hourly and not on production.  This is why a mandatory amount of services, other than one, is also not a good idea.  It can take a good chunk of time to find the source of a pharaoh ant, or pantry pest, or carpet beetle, or even roach infestation, treat properly, and give instructions to the customer on what to expect next.

    Sell yourself and your service.  Make yourself indispensable.

    If your pest control company sprays and prays, shop around.

No comments:

Post a Comment